Victims of infected blood scandal set to get £100,000 each in compensation, #Victims #infected #blood #scandal #set #compensation Welcome to O L A S M E D I A TV N E W S, This is what we have for you today:
Victims of the contaminated blood scandal should be paid compensation payments of no less than £100,000 “without delay”, according to the chairman of an inquiry which is investigating the issue.
About 2,400 NHS patients died and tens of thousands more became seriously ill after being infected with HIV and hepatitis C through contaminated blood products used to treat them for haemophilia in the 70s and 80s.
The infected blood public inquiry’s Sir Brian Langstaff wrote in an interim report published on Friday that victims or their bereaved partners should be paid “without delay” if they are registered on UK infected blood support schemes.
The chairman said: “Having considered the submissions and reflected on the evidence this inquiry has heard of profound physical and mental suffering across a wide range of backgrounds, from a diversity of places and in a variety of personal circumstances, I considered it right that I should make this report.”
At the end of an inquiry hearing on Friday Sir Brian stressed his recommendation did not have to be accepted by the Government but said his report on interim payments was “not the end of the inquiry’s work, and the question of compensation”.
More from News
The public inquiry into what has been labelled the biggest scandal in NHS history has been taking evidence since 2019 from people affected by it.
The inquiry is investigating the impact on victims’ families, how the authorities responded and the care and support provided to those infected and affected such as their families, loved ones and carers.
Des Collins, senior partner at Collins Solicitors, who represents families and those affected by the scandal said the report was a “welcome development” but compensation had been “due for decades”.
“These immediate interim payments for some of the most vulnerable will, at last, provide some financial compensation that many of those suffering have been due for decades,” he said.
“Whilst coming too late for the thousands who have tragically passed away over the intervening years since they were infected, it is a welcome development for some of those still living with the dreadful repercussions of this avoidable treatment failure.”
Patients with haemophilia and other blood disorders fell ill after being given at what was at the time a new treatment called factor VIII or IX .
The medication was imported from the US and made from pooled blood plasma of thousands of paid donors, including high-risk groups, such as prisoners.
Some patients contracted hepatitis B or C though a blood transfusion after childbirth or hospital surgery.
Sir Brian’s recommendation comes after a report on interim payments by Sir Robert Francis QC, who studied options for a framework for compensation for victims of the infected blood tragedy, was published in June.
The government spokesperson said Sir Brian’s recommendations are going to be discussed when Parliament reconvenes after it summer recess on 5 September.
They said: “The Government is grateful to Sir Brian Langstaff for his interim report regarding interim compensation for victims of infected blood.
“We recognise how important this will be for people infected and affected across the UK, and can confirm that the Government will consider Sir Brian’s report and the recommendations of Sir Robert Francis QC with the utmost urgency, and will respond as soon as possible. A copy of the report will be laid in the House once Parliament reconvenes.”